Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Cilantro Challenge

Cilantro is a really common herb in Indian and Mexican food.  A lot of people really love it.  At least as many also loathe it.

The reason it tastes so bad to some people is because of a chemical called aldehydes.  These are the same chemicals that give soap its soapy taste and stink bugs their stinky smell.

Especially for people who hate cilantro, the first taste their brain recognizes is the aldehydes.  After the brain becomes used to the aldehydes and stops recognizing them as a potential toxin, the other flavors of the cilantro become more pronounced.

Dr. Jay Gottfried claims to have reversed his hatred of of the green herb.  He says that after encountering in time after time, his brain no longer recognizes it as a threat, and he now enjoys the fresh flavor from it.  Yes, there is still soapiness, but it's not the forefront flavor.

You may enjoy reading the article in full here.

I would love to develop an appreciation for cilantro, because I could eat a taco without fear, not avoid pico de gallo, and enjoy Indian food to its fullest.  I'm going to take the cilantro challenge.  I'm going to eat 20 dishes with cilantro in them in 2012, and see if I can learn to like cilantro.  After all, I'm so grateful that I came around to onions, mushrooms, and peppers.

What are your thoughts?  Do you love cilantro or hate it?  Would you be willing to take the cilantro challenge with me?

1 comment:

  1. Hah I love this! I LOVE cilantro..like I will eat fresh cilantro plain, by itself. In large amounts. I'm going to post this on Mom's wall though because she hates it!

    ReplyDelete