Monday, February 27, 2012

It's alive!

Do you ever let the dishes pile up, and then you have the horrible realization that there is stuff growing in your sink?

Well there is stuff growing in my kitchen right now.  Not in the sink though.  Don't worry.

I'm culturing my own yogurt bacteria in my crockpot, and it's pretty awesome.  I found the recipe here.  You just need a little cup of yogurt as a starter, and if you can find your milk for a good price (this week it is $2.29 at Walgreens) you can have your own, inexpensive, homemade yogurt.

Also growing in my kitchen is a sourdough starter.  I have it in a small bowl with the lid resting lightly on top.  I'm trying to find a bread recipe that I could make once or twice a week that could use the yeast in the sourdough starter and not require any additional yeast.  That is to say, the starter would supply all the yeast, and I could keep it alive, and never have to buy yeast again.  

Ambitious, no?


No comments:

Post a Comment